Monday, July 10, 2017

Hintonburg 5K

Our lil' corner of the world was a hive of activity this past Sunday. The event this time? A local street race known as the Hintonburg Centennial 5K.

I first got into running races just after Margot was born.  Before that I ran a bit for my own pleasure but I generally scoffed at those people with the fancy running shoes and kooky pants who got into the whole race "thing".

And make no mistake, it is a "thing". Thousands of people run dozens of races in Ottawa these days. Pretty much every week they'll be some running event somewhere around here raising money for something (there's usually a charitable connection). The closest comparison is yoga, which is also a "thing", but that's for another post!

Running: it's nice, and for a good cause, yada yada I get it!...well, I do now, now that I've decided to drink the kool-aid and buy my own pair of fancy running shoes.

Seriously though, it's fun. And the Hintonburg 5K was extra fun as Glosette Girl, Margot and I could walk to the start line and back from our house, which made participating super simple.

Glosette Girl and Margot did a quick 1K with some of Margot's friends.


Margot literally flew around the corner on the way back! I think this is her fourth race of her little life so far.

Elbow that little girl in blue out of the way sweets. She's slowing you down!
...and guess what! I didn't too shabby if I don't say so myself. I got my fastest time ever: 19:33!!! I finally beat the 20 minute time "barrier" that I've been trying to get under for years. Good enough for 14th place overall (out of 407).

Number 98! Number 98!
My legs feel like butter - but 19:33! It's worth it. Pass some more kool-aid!

2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes!!! Blew through your PB!! That's amazing. Congratulations! And little Margot flying is so awesome. I remember when you made fun of my funny pants running in the winter! Haha and now you're breaking 4 min Kms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the action shot of Margot and well done sir on running faster than a speeding bullet (nearly ;) Bx

    ReplyDelete