Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Island Stillness

The stillness of the forest. Crunching new fallen snow with your boots. Crisp winter air. Simple pleasures are everywhere.

Last Friday there was almost no snow. Now it sits several inches deep. Winter is here in Ottawa in spirit even if technically* it hasn't arrived yet.


The change in weather was the perfect excuse to go for a walk with my visiting family, R, N and A in nearby Morris Island Conservation Area, one of my favourite places for a walk within an hour's drive of my house (the rough amount of time I'm willing to drive for a casual day trip) .

I love Morris Island because it's essentially true nature, not semi-nature like the greenbelt that surrounds Ottawa. Don't get me wrong, semi-nature has its place too but sometimes it's nice to know to your miles from anyone and the realm you are walking isn't quite tamed yet.


Margot and A technically didn't walk the whole route. They hopped on the Dada express for about half the trail. I didn't mind.

Children's Laughter is also a natural forest noise
We came, we walked, we appreciated and we left nothing but our footprints (or toboggan prints).



*Winter starts on December 21st


2 comments:

  1. This place looks awesome - we'll have to check it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something so quiet and calming about snow and no people. I think when we make it out to see you guys we have to come when there's snow! Bx

    ReplyDelete