Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Charlevoix: between the mountains and the water

With limited travel options this year, the fam' and I had to get creative. Fortunately, within a reasonable (6 and a half hour or so) drive from Ottawa there are some pretty amazing destinations. The choices were between going west (towards the Great Lakes) and east (deep into Quebec). We chose east and ended up in the Charlevoix region of Quebec where we shared a chalet with my bro and sis and their families. I'm so glad we chose this area the landscape in this region is simply stunning. It rivals anything I've seen in Europe but with a Canadian twist of course.


Cute towns and villages? Check. Majestic mountain valleys? Check. Casse croute? BIG check!

Home away from home!
We're mid-way through our 6-night mini-trip to the region but so far the area has exceeded my expectations. Our current home is a chalet up the side of a mountain overlooking the St. Lawrence river. The vegetation here is maritime forest and very lush.

Somewhat crazily we're actually in the off-season here as this area is best known for being a major ski destination with the highest vertical east of the Rockies. But I came for the hiking. After testing the waters on the Sentier de la forêt marine-La Seigneurie, we hit the Mont du lac-des-Cygnes in the Parc National des Grand Jardins.

Monkey in the Mist

Pizazz in the Parc!
A bit busy, but there is a reason for it. The first three quarters feels like a magical misty birch forest, while the last bit is a massive rock bursting through the clouds. I can't wait to see the rest of what this region has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Hey my boy I didn't realize you had to paddle in to that island!!

    ReplyDelete