Thursday, November 5, 2020

US Election: And So It Goes

I rarely write about politics on this blog. It's not that I'm not into politics and world affairs, it's just that I like to focus my writing on the quiet quirks and moments that make up my little corner of the world. 

However, every once in awhile something happens that I can't help but take notice of. Not a Canadian election! Those are yawn fests (expect when Quebec seperatism is on the table). Canadian political disagreements are akin to arguing which colour of beige is best for the walls. Sometimes UK or European news captures my attention...but, let's be honest, no one does crazy, epic, political fights like the U.S.  

It's like everything Americans do - amusement parks, hamburgers, sleaze, celebrity, rock and roll - they do it bigger and badder than anyone.

With no direct skin in the game, I'm more bemused than anything these days. It looks like Biden has the election wrapped up but the results are a lot closer than many people thought it would be at this point although I don't understand why journalists seem surprised about that. Don't they know what country they live in? From my vantage point in the Great White North, the U.S. is a conservative inclined country with periodic liberal interludes. This is the exact opposite of Canada, which is a naturally liberal country with occasional conservative periods. Trump just brought out an extreme version of what was always there.

Honestly I think too often journalists and other smart people substitute what they want to happen with what will happen.

Anyways, eventually this period of turmoil shall pass. The U.S. is almost out of the crassness of the Trump era. A modest Democrat era begins. And it certainly is modest - there was no "blue wave".  I hope that at least gives both sides pause. The U.S. is a divided country and each side needs to realize that they must live with and listen to the other. Will anyone try?

No comments:

Post a Comment