Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Past the Invisible Wall

My new home in Ottawa, Ontario, is just 5 km from the Quebec provincial border but for some people it could be 1000 km away. For many, there is an invisible wall running through the middle of the Ottawa river that prevents them from imagining a life on the other side.

Yes, people are willing to work wherever their job takes them. But when it comes to living (buying a house, going to school, raising kids, even going out) doing so in the "other" province is a challenge that many people in this area struggle with.

I have first hand knowledge of this because I used to think like that! When I first moved to Ottawa I couldn't fathom living in Quebec (I'm from small-ish town Newmarket, Ontario). However, cheap rent and housing prices eventually had me take a good look at Quebec (having a cute Quebec wife doesn't hurt either). I ended up living in Quebec for 9 years.

Language was a bit part of why I was so reluctant. I didn't like the idea of living as a minority language speaker within my own country. Plus there was the whole Quebec separatist political scene, which annoyed me (and still does).

Eventually though, with Glosette Girl's help, I got over my jitters. And I'm glad I did. Although I love urban Ottawa living, geographically and culturally, Quebec is just a beautiful province. You are on the doorstep of nature.

This past weekend, with my sister and her family in tow, we re-visited the Mont-Ste Marie festival of colours. Glosette Girl, Margot and I discovered this a few years ago and we loved sharing the experience with my sister's gang. It was a colour explosion!


This place is only about an hour from my home in rural Quebec.  We started the morning with coffee shops and sidewalks and in the time it takes to watch one Broadchurch episode we were amongst the trees.


A very relaxing way to spend Thanksgiving. I really enjoy discovering these places - wherever they may be.

p.s there was Poutine at the bottom of the hill waiting for us as a reward. That didn't hurt either!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo! The sun came out for your shots of those lookouts! Lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete