Monday, May 8, 2017

7 Things I Hate about Ottawa (and 1 more I like)

It's so depressing here in Ottawa right now.

The brief ray of sunshine we had last weekend has given way to rain, rain, and more rain (and some snow). And not warm spring-like rain but barely-above-zero-cold-in-your-bones-rain.



Glosette Girl's friend, S, is about ready to move to Ottawa. I mentioned previously some of the great things the city has to offer. But I'd better be completely upfront so she knows what she's getting herself into. Here are seven things I hate about Ottawa:
  • The fact that winter (or almost winter) conditions last almost half the year (November to April are tough months and May hasn't been much so far).
  • Another weather one: the extreme weather. In the winter, it snows a lot. In the summer it roasts. As for spring...well most years spring is the fleeting weekend separating the bone chill of winter from the humidity of summer. This year is different. This time we are getting a bucketload of rain.
  • Too many people in Ottawa work for the same employer (the Federal Government). 
"Hey have you got your BBB yet so you can keep that CO2 position?"
"No, but fortunately I am in an acting position seconded from PWGSC. My DM pulled some strings and I'm good for now."
If you can understand that, you are from Ottawa!
It's not that being a civil servant is bad (I was one, a lifetime ago). It's just that I think too many people doing the same thing causes groupthink.
  • The road bottlenecks (not as big a problem for me now that I live within walking distance of work but a serious problem for the thousands of people who live in Quebec and commute to Ottawa and get stuck on the bridges).
  • The topography is nice but not spectacular. No mountains or oceans or even big lakes nearby. 
  • The fact that Ottawa is not an airport hub. It's hard to fly most places from here. And did you see what I said about the weather? Sometimes a good 2000 km of distance is what you need to appreciate Ottawa!
  • The lack of zany billionaires with a fondness for megalomaniac pet projects. OK, maybe not billionaires, but sometimes I wish Ottawa was a bit more visionary and built iconic landmarks. Instead, we get respectable, responsible sports stadiums with chain restaurants.  
Grrrrrr. OK OK I'll end this gripe fest on a positive note. Despite the rain, we visited Hintonburg Park for The Happening, on Saturday. It's a local arts and cultural fair. It was a soggy affair.


But, I swear, there is always something going on in Ottawa - and this area in particular. It's cool to be a part of! So kudos to Ottawa for all the festivals: rain, snow or (rarely) shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment