Monday, December 18, 2017

Absinthe

2017 is slowly but surely winding down and all the "lasts" are coming out of the woodwork. This is my last work week before the Christmas shutdown as well as Margot's last school week. A couple of weeks ago I had a last 2017 pub night with my boys and this past weekend was probably the last time Glosette Girl and I will hit up a restaurant sans Margot before the new year.

But we are going out with resto-style!

Our restaurant of choice this Sunday was Absinthe, which is a local haunt in Wellington West.

The friends? D & E, the coolest cats this side of Centrepointe.

Centrepointe pride!
The food? Well we started on the savory side of things with a selection of three local cheeses.

After that, Glosette Girl felt she needed some seafood love and tried the poached peanut crusted cod, which is served in coconut shrimp broth, along with baby bok choy, fresh herb salad, and crispy shallots.

Margot doesn't like seafood so Glosette Girl usually goes for that option when we go out
I'm normally a carnivore but was feeling veggie friendly that day and tried the home made ravoili with...um...some really yummy things that I forgot to write down.

Saint hubert? Mets-en!
Finally, we ended our meal by sharing a dessert sample of chocolate fondant, lemon tart, profiterole (so good!), and crème brûlée. 

Sorry - no photo! I know, I know, not my best meal review!  

But, trust me, overall it was a nice experience. Not just because of the great conversation with D & E but because our waitress/hostess did a nice job of periodically checking in, keeping our water and wine glasses topped up and the food coming at a good pace. Actually one of the most impressive things I saw her do was turn customers away even though there were a few empty tables. It turns out that two servers had failed to come in for their shifts that night and rather than seat customers she knew the restaurant couldn't handle and compromise the quality of everyone's meal she made a judgement call to focus on the customers (like us) who had made reservations.

You don't see that too often!

Anyways, cheers to gutsy calls, friends who go out on school nights,  and the babysitters who let that happen (thanks TM!)

Me thinks the lady likes me

1 comment:

  1. NOT the post I was expecting with a title like 'Absinthe'!

    No, you, your friends and indeed the restaurant do all look most stylish. My mouth is watering... Bx

    ReplyDelete