Monday, April 30, 2018

Kitchen Reno: Day Zero

Remember how I mentioned I have old house problems?

One
Well, I'm about to tackle the biggest old problem of them all: a massive kitchen reno! We are tearing the kitchen down to the bones and building it up again from essentially stratch. Our plan includes:
  • New windows
  • Tearing down an inner wall
  • New lighting
  • New appliances
  • New cabinetry
  • New flooring
Literally almost nothing will remain from the original kitchen. When we bought our house, Glosette Girl and I planned to redo the kitchen at some point but "some point" became "now" when we realized just how much time we spend in the kitchen and how "ugh" it currently is.

Two
The main problem is that the room is too dark (think four walls and one small window).  Once we tear down that inner wall light will pour in from two sides and we'll be in kitchen bliss.

Grrr three...
My first job this past weekend was getting the original appliances out of the room. Easier said than done when you have a 30 inch wide refrigerator and a 30.5 inch wide door.  Lucky for me, I am getting rid of the door so with some pushing, shoving and heaving Glosette Girl's brother and I were able to get it out of the house and into my garage.

POP! Four
Thankfully, the fridge still works as I really can't see how I would survive without a fridge. No such luck with the oven though. So for the next two months it's cold meals, microwave meals or BBQ time for us.

Actually I don't think that'll be that bad.  It's when we pull out the kitchen sink that will be the most annoying. I am not looking forward to washing dinners in the tub (note to self: don't mistake kitchen sponges for personal hygiene brushes especially when washing those hard to reach places).

The temporary kitchen!
Will we make it? I will let you know on day 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment