Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Shakespeare in the Hintonburg Park

There always seems to be something going on in our neighbourhood park! This past weekend was no exception and last Friday the park was alive with the sights and sounds of an open air performance of Shakespeare's Cymbeline put on by local thespians Bear & Co.

I have never read or seen Cymbeline before and because I didn't do any advance homework on what exactly I was seeing I have to admit I was somewhat (i.e completely) lost for the first 15 minutes or so. To tell you the truth that's pretty much par for the course for me with most Shakespeare plays but eventually I got the gist of it as it hit the standard Shakespeare points:
  • Star-crossed lovers - check. 
  • A couple of goof ball/foolish servants - check. 
  • Someone wanting to steal the throne - check.
  • A leading lady who dresses up like a boy resulting in some comic relief at some point - check.
  • A miraculously happy ending where all loose ends are tied up (check - for comedies).
It wasn't the best Shakespeare I've ever seen but it put a smile on my face and I got lost in the characters a few times, which is really all I can ask for. Also, I am super grateful that the play being performed wasn't A Midsummer Night's Dream. I swear that play is played every year by some company or another around here and if I have to see "Puck" play one more trick on "Bottom" one more time I'm going to cry.

Somewhat amazingly, considering all the plays Glosette Girl and I see, this was Margot's first time seeing a Shakespeare production.


She did really well and sat through the whole 90-minute performance. Now her patient behaviour may have been partially due to the fact that a kind neighbourhood lady invited Margot to sit next to her so Margot could see better and Margot tends to be extra nice when strangers are around... but I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment