Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Something Old becomes Something New

I popped into Trove a couple of days ago to drop off some clothes. Trove is a consignment store, which originally focused on women's clothes but has recently started accepting men's clothes as well.


Although I occasionally shopped at second hand stores in the past, actually dropping off my old clothes for resale isn't something I've ever tried before. The main reason is that I thought it was more generous to drop off my old clothes in one of the numerous charity clothes bins that are all over this neighbourhood (the ones that say on the side of the bin that the funds from the clothes go to good causes like the Big Brothers or Big Sisters of Ottawa).

There's been a lot of negative press about those clothes bins recently.  Contrary to what a lot of people think, a lot of the clothes that go into those bins go into landfills or get exported to third world countries where first world second hand clothing has contributed to wiping out local textile business.

That's no good.

However, as much as I'd like to stop using those bins, I don't just want to dump my clothes in the garbage. And that's where Trove comes in. It's not a charity (I'll actually make some money if my clothes sell) but at least I'm helping a local business and giving a second life to something that I don't want anymore. So if anyone out there on the Interweb is interested in a blue stripped sweater - check out Trove on Wellington Street while supplies last!


1 comment:

  1. Very good points Simon... I might have to think about how I "donate" clothes more

    ReplyDelete