Monday, May 20, 2019

Homemade Birthday Party

It's so tempting to host your child's birthday party at somewhere other then your own home these days. I've heard of birthday parties at museums, festivals, indoor trampoline parks, even grocery stores! I remember when I was growing up the fanciest birthday party was at McDonalds. Oh that orange drink, it was so good (what was that stuff anyways?!)

Glosette Girl and I have held Margot's birthday party at some of these venues over the years. Last year, for example, we went to Ray's Reptiles. A couple of years before that we went to the Agriculture Museum. But I still like the simple honesty of a home made party and so when I suggested that to Margot I was happy to see she went along. It's not the first time we've had her birthday here (two years ago we did the same) but this birthday had an extra bonus: it was her first ever friends sleepover at our house!

The schedule of the day's events:
  • 4 pm: welcome 5 extremely happy little girls to our house (and trust me, when you tell parents they can drop off their kid overnight at 4 pm they are there on the dot!)
  • 4:30 pm: scavenger hunt leading to hidden pinata (hitting something until candy falls out is a no fail kids activity)

Like manna from Heaven
  • 5:00-5:30 pm. General horseplay.
When girls say let's "hug crush" someone, they mean it. Margot broke 2 ribs.
  • 5:30 pm: BBQ dinner. Interestingly every kid wanted hotdogs except Margot. She's an equal opportunity burg' and 'dog girl.
  • 6:15 pm: visit to the nearby park to let the kids burn off some energy
  • 7:00 pm: "presents and cake" - have sweeter words ever been said to a 9 year old..?
  • 8:15-9:00 pm: I take your "presents and cake" and raise you "sparklers and fireworks".

Attention on deck!

 
Best. Daddy. Ever.
  • 9:00 pm-9:30 pm: kids get ready for bed and lights out*
  • 5:30 am the next day: kids wake up. Yup, you heard me, 5:30. Son of a gun!
  • 8:00 am: option of pancake or scrambled eggs breakfast. Yes, you heard me, I said option. At chez Hintonburg we don't mess around.
  • 10:00 am: kids leave. Funny, the parents seemed a little slower off the mark on the backend :)
* Full disclosure: it may have been later but in case any of the kids' parents are reading this let's just say they were all asleep at 9:30 pm.

1 comment: