Sunday, December 19, 2021

A Nu Gift

Way back when I moved to Hintonburg I blogged about some of the local area grocery stores. In hindsight, I think my comments were a bit off (hipsters apparently go to Loblaws, not Metro), and I didn't comment on a couple. In particular, Nu Grocery, is one I didn't comment on at the time (to be fair to myself, my blog post predates their store opening by a few months).

It's an interesting concept: it's a store dedicated to avoiding single-use packaging. So no saran wrap, cardboard boxes or even cans. Instead, you're supposed to bring in your own jars, weigh them empty, fill them up and they charge you by the weight of the full container (minus the weight of the jar).

Think of a fancy bulk barn.  

Pre-pandemic, I used to go to Nu Grocery once per week. Since then I'm a bit ashamed to admit that my visits have really dropped off. I think it's because I just wanted to get all my groceries in one place (like a traditional grocery store) and also their COVID capacity limits were a bit too strict at first (no one was even allowed in the store for awhile, you had to order ahead of time, although they have since relaxed those measures).

This weekend though my visit was less about food and more about... Christmas! Margot needed to get a gift for her gym teacher, Madame. S, and we struck upon a nice idea: a beeswax candle! Gambling they would sell them here, we popped in, and struck gold.

Margot with the coveted candle

During my visit, I was reminded just how much more human the store feels than the massive chain stores I've been visiting. I think perhaps it's time to restart going here more frequently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment