Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Perch

It's been awhile since I've been to a fancy restaurant. And it's been even longer since I've been to a new fancy restaurant. But as a pre-Valentine's day gift to ourselves Glosette Girl and I decided to try Perch, which is a new restaurant on Preston in Little Italy. They opened last November, and I've been meaning to give them a go.

In terms of atmosphere, Perch has a slightly edgy industrial look. The background music was modern and interesting but not overpowering, which I liked, because I hate it when you go to a place and you have to shout to talk. 

Right now, as the pandemic measures wind down, they are only serving set menus so we tried the 5-course option. Here's what we had:

  • Brocolli Stem with Seabuckthorn & Camelina Emulsion
  • Chawanmushi
  • Birch Marinated Walleye Agnolitti
  • Koji-aged and Seaweed Wrapped Roasted Duck Breast
  • Carmalized Parsnip Ice Cream

There was also a free aperitif of boullion soup and bread when we first arrived. That was really appreciated because it was freezing the night we went out.

Some of the courses were better than others. In particular, I loved the duck breast and Glosette Girl really liked the brocolli stem.

Enjoying the broccoli...

But neither of us really liked the parsnip ice cream. So I think they need to tighten up a few of the courses.

...but having second thoughts on the ice cream!

The service was really timely and efficient though and I could tell they were putting a lot of effort into making sure we have a nice experience and overall I had a great time. So I definitely think it's worth a try.

One funny thing though: we were still a tad peckish even after our five-courses! We ended up having a post-meal snack at Tooth and Nail, which is just around from our house. If you're really hungry, maybe best to stick with pub food!

Lovin' the Beer and Pretzels at Tooth and Nail

No comments:

Post a Comment