Thursday, November 17, 2016

Family Rhythms

From world-changing milestones to the little events that make up my daily life, it's all here on Tough Cookies: Hintonburg Style. You never know what you're going to get on this blog.

Anyways, what I was going to talk about last week, before I was rudely interrupted by Mr. T. Rumpis, was family - specifically, how daily interactions of my life with my in-laws has changed since moving to Hintonburg.

Previously, I lived about 10 minutes away from the in-laws. I'm now maybe 15-20 minutes away. It doesn't seem much but it has actually completely changed how often I see them. Jen's parents used to pick up and drop our daughter, Margot, off almost every day. So I saw them a fair bit, even if only fleetingly.  However, now that I walk to school with Margot and Glosette Girl picks her up most days, I rarely see Glosette Girl's parents or the other members of Glosette Girl's family. There usually has to be a special reason.

Hangin' with the cousins is always a good excuse
I actually like my in-laws so this has been quite a change. Fortunately, Glosette Girl's mother and aunt each helpfully pick up Margot from school one day per week (thank god for that because, honestly, school ends super early at 2:30 pm. What's the deal with that? Who is at home at 2:30 pm?!), which is nice as they get to stay a part of Margot's life. We are also trying to see the rest of the family for dinner occasionally or if there is something to celebrate.

We bring the jazz
Interestingly, nothing has really changed with my side of the family. They live 5 hours away near or in Toronto (I suppose that's down to 4 hours 50 minutes) so my move to downtown Ottawa hasn't impacted them. I see some part of my gang every month or two and I anticipate that will stay the same.

It may seem obvious but I guess it all comes down to making sure that you make an effort to see the people who matter to you in your life.

Simon's side of the force

2 comments:

  1. Here, here sir!

    (I'm not sure why I enjoy exchanging with you as if we were a couple of spiffy English gentleman, but I do!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean you being 10 minutes closer to your Toronto family hasn't impacted how often you'll see us?? I expect you to visit THRICE AS OFTEN NOW!!!

    Kidding ;)

    ReplyDelete