Monday, March 6, 2017

The Pop In!

People on TV always seem to be popping into places. Friends had the Central Perk coffee shop.  Star Trek: TNG had Ten Forward. Coronation Street has the Rovers Return Inn.

I always wanted to be able to pop into local business to get stuff. Even if it was just for a donut, some milk or a light bulb. It didn't matter that the prices would probably be higher than a big box store in the 'burbs. It just seemed so civilized!

With my new home in Hintonburg, my wish has been granted. The neighbourhood  has local businesses in spades. I've already mentioned Giant Tiger, which is kindof my default get-anything place. But there are other stores too. On our walk to a play last night, Glosette Girl and I popped into a pharmacy to grab some handsoap of all things. We ran out of soap so we went and bought some and nothing else. It was pretty sweet.


In my old house, even the smallest purchase required going for a drive. With traffic lights slowing you down, the absolute minimum amount of time to go there and back was probably 20 minutes but usually longer.  I really hated that drive so I tried to get a lot of stuff whenever I did it. Here it was just an in and out.

The serious business of handsoap selection
(Heh what about the play you ask - sorry, can't use up all my material on one post! Would you ask Charlotte Brontë to tell you in the first chapter if Jane ends up with Mr. Rochester? No! p.s. I'm reading Jane Eyre right now.)

Anyways, it's another reason why I like the Hintonburg area. You can just buy what you need.

The "Your-blogging-about-odd-places-has-a-limit" look
Ahhh $7 handsoap. Worth every penny!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with Jen and yet... this post makes me feel me very close and intimate with the lives of the Khouri-Parhams :)

    And that's nice x

    ReplyDelete