Thursday, February 15, 2018

A Very Red and Black Valentine's

Another Valentine's Day has come and gone! 

After so many years together it's hard sometimes to think of creative ways to spend Valentine's. Going out to restaurants isn't that special because we already do that that together relatively frequently. Plus, notwithstanding last year's amazing Valentine's Day dinner at one of our favourite restaurants,  it seems kindof... overdone.

So this year we went in a different direction.

Step one: skip the fancy meal and instead book over to Chinatown for a big fat bowl of Vietnamese Pho and a plate of vermicelli. Mmmm comfort food.

So THAT's how Glosette Girl feels about me?!
Step two: head downtown. Kill some time at the central library catching up on the latest good reads.
Absorbing the atmosphere of the lovely and timeless library carpets and walls
Step three: the main course! Let's just say, if I said to you "do you hear the people sing?", how would you respond? Probably you'd note that it's the songs of angry men. And then I'd say "It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again." And then you'd observe "ahhh...but does the beating of your heart echo the beating of the drums." And then...

Those wacky French and their revolutions
What am talking about? Why, Les Misérables of course! Les Miz was the first musical I ever saw (when I was 9 if you can believe) and it has had a place in my heart for years. The Broadway touring production is currently in Ottawa and we decided to make it the crown jewel in our Valetine's Day extravaganza.

We stayed like this for the whole show. The people behind us were less than impressed
I know, I know, it ain't no Shakespeare. But it hits the right notes (haha pun intended) with its balance of comedy and tragic romance. Margot was just a little too young for it this time, but I'm still keeping my eye open for a good first professional musical experience for her. But this time....this time was just an intimate evening me between me, Glosette Girl, Jean Valjean, Javert, Fantine and dozens of Parisian urchins.

Not the closest seats...but enjoyable all the same!
Oh my goodness, I almost forgot the most important step of all! Step four! Waiting for our groggy bones when we got home at 11 pm (way past our mid-week bedtime!) was a Margot creation made with her special brand of Valentine's Day creativity.

Neigh!
A perfect evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment