Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Heavenly Bagels

I mentioned previously that once a month I take Margot to All Saints Westboro, a nearby Anglican church.

After every visit I make sure to stop in at The Ottawa Bagelshop on the way home where I pick up a dozen or so bagels and some extra creamy cream cheese for a late brunch/early lunch at home.

Ever see someone take a photo of a bagel shop and wonder why? Now you know.
The smell of the store is heavenly (pun intended). It reminds me of when I was a kid. After church my parents used to take my family to a local bakery, Bun King Bakery, in Newmarket and us kids would have so much fun picking out sausage rolls and croissants and other goodies to take home. It's one of my fondest memories.

I hope Margot grows up with a similar memory.

A cynic would say that it's out right bribery. Fortunately I'm not a cynic!

I like how our Bagelshop visit makes our once-a-month visit to All Saints extra special. I love how the routine is always the same. We literally do everything the exact same way every time: we park in the same spot off of Ross Street*; Margot and I have a mini race running to the bagel shop; Margot grabs a few samples of the brie and crackers they have on display (you're supposed to only take one but it's a victimless crime**!) and then I buy poppy seed (for Glosette Girl) and sesame seed (for me) bagels that are fresh out of the wood stove oven. Yum!

But it's not just about the bagels of course. It's the complete package and that includes church. Margot is growing up having conversations about Christianity (and bagels) and I think it's going to make her an interesting person. She will have the same cultural references that I did. Religion to her will be something she has lived and not just something you read about in the newspaper that they do in the Middle East.

Bagels + comic books = kid heaven
I'm sure there's a whole 'nother blog post in there, which I'd love to chat about...but I'm getting a bit peckish.


* One time, Glosette Girl came with us and tried to park on a different street. There was a lot of tears and angry words from Margot believe you me!

** So much for the 8th commandment.

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering for those sausage rolls. I loved that part of Sunday. Funny I always remember it being sunny and crisp... Maybe it's the timing of this post or maybe we went to church more often in the spring but I do that routine well. A nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete