Thursday, March 15, 2018

The Dregs of March

It's that time of year. Winter is stumbling along to a slurpy slushy end here in Ottawa. You can feel that spring is just around the corner and there are tantalizing tastes of sunshine but not quite enough to get rid of all the brown snow soiled with dirt (at least I hope it's dirt!).

It's March, my least favourite month of the year (along with January and November). As much as I like the longer days and slightly warmer temperatures, I find March is a hard month. It's too warm for some winter activities, like skating, but too cold for most spring ones.

Worse, there aren't really any holidays at this time of year except for those years when Easter is really early (unless you're a kid or teacher on March Break - lucky Glosette Girl). D'oh.

Still, this past weekend my gang made the most of the weather. We hopped on a toboggan (one winter activity we can still do) and headed over to the Bruce Pit, which is a decent hill in the west end of Ottawa. Even though we've been tobogganing for years Margot was a bit hesitant at first...

Margot boarding her aluminum chariot
...but she soon got into the spirit. After the first run she started going down and up the hill all by herself.

Tobogganing: 10% sliding + 90% walking
Actually, I found that to be a bit bittersweet as this was the first time Margot's gone so many times by herself. I'm proud of her but it was still one of those occasions where I noticed the passing of time. Anyways, I didn't have too much time to dwell on that myself as Glosette Girl and I did a few runs ourselves. And, as you can see, we were as graceful as swans!


2 comments:

  1. I tobogganed myself a couple of times this winter. I too found myself yelling a bit on what were probably embarrassingly slow runs >.< It was fun though, and Asher became a little thrill seeker!

    And we too were disappointed on the second weekend of March when we went to the outdoor rink where Asher took skating lessons this year, and found it was no longer being maintained. A couple of intrepid souls were still trying to skate on the surface, and Asher and I managed for a bit, but Rich couldn't put his skates down without sinking blade deep into the crunch. We quit after less than 10 minutes :( Oh well. Spring's coming..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A call out for November: I've come to love November these years, it has a relaxed quality to it. Generally weekends are open. The air is getting crisper, and if there's any snow it's a hint at Christmas. November doesn't have the hustle and bustle of November as well... Just some thoughts for you for when that poor under appreciated month comes along.

    I'm with you on march though... I think it might be the worst.

    ReplyDelete