Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Day Trips: How Far to Go?

"Day trips" have always been important to me since I was a kid: packing a cooler into the car, driving to a nearby provincial park and then kicking around until the afternoon before returning home... ahh that's the stuff of life.

Now that I'm an adult I find they are also a great way to enjoy weekends, learn about some local lore, or just do something other than plain old house chores. Because let's be honest, there are always more chores to do if you stay home!

If you've read a few blog posts on this site you may have noticed that Glosette Girl and I try and do a lot of day trips. Whether it's winter walks, experiencing local fall festivals, going apple picking, or climbing the Gatineau Hills, we're always on the lookout for something new. Sometimes they are just mini day trips: a couple of hours. Occasionally they are full day affairs. But interestingly, if you were to pinpoint on a map all the places we have been you would realize that they are all within a roughly one hour drive from my house.

That seems to be the maximum range of driving I'm willing to do without spending the night at wherever I am. Maybe...maybe I would do an hour and a half. But I'm pretty consistent with the one-hour limit.

This past weekend we took Margot kayaking for the first time at Parc National de Plaisance on the Quebec side. It's a decent destination for water sports, birding and cycling that's just under the one-hour mark from me (so looks like I'm putting my money where my mouth is!).

How to give a "handshake" with a padle
I'm curious what other people's day trip limits are. 2-hours? 3-hours? Am I too conservative with my driving limits or just about right?

4 comments:

  1. In Toronto 1 HR is tough because that likely takes you just outside the city. There are a lot of fun things to do in and around the city but they don't count in my head as a day trip. For a nice trip to a prov. park or conservation area outside the city you generally need to stretch to 2+ hrs here. In short... Boooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points! So does that mean you don't do day trips from Toronto (without spending an overnighter away) or do you tough it out and do a 2-hour drive?

      Delete
  2. We don't do a ton of day trips, but that also has to do with Lil napping. I will be willing to go the 2 hours in the future. Maybe further!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would probably do an hour and a half. That can get you to a lot from Toronto in my opinion (though I'm right on the highway, it's tougher for folks who have to get through a chunk of the city before hitting a major artery). It won't get you to the depths of cottage country, but day trips can come in many flavours!

    ReplyDelete