Sunday, June 9, 2019

Paroisse Saint François d'Assise

One of the unmistakable landmarks of our neighbourhood is the church for Paroisse Saint François d'Assise.  Every day, at noon and 6 p.m, the bells ring out and can be heard across the neighbourhood all the way to our house. It's been doing that for over one hundred years.


This is actually the church that is attached to Margot's school, but ironically not the one that I take Margot to, one's a month (I baptized her Anglican for extra spice)!

On our way home from Westfest yesterday, I noticed just how big the church is. It's head and shoulders taller than all the neighbouring building and because its set back on a little hill it seems extra prominent.

There are still services here although I'm not sure how occupied they are. On the one hand, the recent influx of African French-speaking refugees to our neighbourhood has probably bolstered the pews. On the other hand, west Ottawa isn't really a hub of French Catholicism.

Even though I don't go to this Church, I like how it anchors the area. Landmarks do that. I like how they link me to the past, like Hubert and Sarah Tapp, who were the last of the original parishioners and died in 1948. If I went back in time 100 years ago, it'd still be there!

If the church was bulldozed for another condo I think it would be a real loss for the neighbourhood. I can only imagine what it felt like to be in France and watch Notre Dame catch fire. Luckily, one thing that I like about Hintonburg is the prominent community association and support for local heritage. We're changing, condos are being built, and the area is continuing on its path towards gentrification, but I think we've struck a decent balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment