Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Westfest

Another week another festival in Ottawa.

This time it's... Westfest!

Glosette Girl and I haven't been to Westfest in a couple of years. It used to be more of a street party as the event closed down the main street running through the nearby neighbourhood of Westboro to cars, and stores adjacent to the street kindof spilled out onto the road and sidewalk. Music was a part of the festival but it was less evident (at least to me) as the stages for musicians weren't that prominent.

The 'fest has moved East (ironically) and is now held in LaRoche park, which is in the grittier park of Hintonburg known as Mechanicsville. That works for me as its know within easy walking distance of my house.

Crunchins and Munchins
The new location has definitely given a different flavour to Westfest. The impression I had (at least at the time we sauntered over - around 5:30 pm) was an event for hipsters, rock 'n rollers at heart, and their kids. Less Lululemon/MEC and more tatoos, zibi protests, and balloon animals.


The music was also centre stage - you couldn't miss it!

Something I liked though was that the prime space in front of the stage was given to the non-drinkers (basically anyone with a kid) who were able to lounge on the grass while their children ran amuck while the drinkers soaked up the music in separate fenced-off areas on the sides.

It was a cool vibe but I'll be honest it threw me off based on previous Westfests. Note to self for next year: sport some ripped clothing and rock out!

No comments:

Post a Comment