Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Coronavirus in Hintonburg: Week Four - Maintaining a Schedule for Margot

Being a parent is tough at the best of times. But during a pandemic? Yikes.

As the weeks have dragged on Glosette Girl and I have had to be creative to ensure that Margot isn't bored or worse...scared.  After a couple of disorganized moments at the beginning of this crisis we've come up a decent schedule revolving around four mini "classes" with Glosette Girl and I each giving two classes to Margot per day.

I take care of: English, Math and, amazingly (to me) Music.
Glosette Girl takes care of: French, Social Science and "miscellaneous" Cooking.

Tuesday's schedule
Each class is relatively short, maybe 30-40 minutes. However,  because both Glosette Girl and I work remotely, and are constantly interrupted by  videoconferences and other distractions. So, in practice,   even giving four short classes to her takes pretty much the whole day.

It's fairly modest but we've found that even these four classes, plus giving Margot some time to talk to her friends online, and her normal TV/Netflix schedule (two episodes in the morning and two in the afternoon) has allowed us to keep our sanity without just sticking her in front of Netflix all day. And maintaining a schedule for Margot seems to be helping her maintain a sense of normalcy. We don't teach her on the weekends, which keeps them special for her and for me. Best of all, she still seems to be the same happy go lucky kid I've come to love.

It really is fortunate that Glosette Girl and I have jobs that allow us to work online. I'm getting sick of the day-to-day grind of all this remote work, but I know it could be a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment