Sunday, May 31, 2020

Coronavirus in Hintonburg: Week Eleven - Birds' Song

There have been many articles about how animals have filled the human void that has accompanied lock downs globally. I don't think it's been quite as noticeable in Ottawa as other places as our lock down wasn't quite as severe as other places. However, even here, and even now as businesses start to re-open, I do get the sense that this is the year of birdsong.

I went for a jog this morning with Margot (who accompanied me on her bike) to Watt's Creek Pathway. Watt's Creek Pathway isn't especially peaceful or scenic and it's not even really outside the city limits: its a paved trail separating some horse stables on one side from some marshy land on the other. It's also heavily trafficked by cyclists.


However, this morning I was in awe of just how many birds I could hear. It's a good time of year generally to listen to birdsong, as a lot of migrating birds have just returned. Regardless,  I can't recall the air ever having been as full as today. The chorus of song was everywhere!

Readers of my original blog may recall that I got into birding almost 10 years ago now. Since that time I've snapped photos of approximately 156 species of birds. And today I saw two new ones:

Gray Catbird
American redstart
Plus many others. For an amateur birder like myself, two new bird species in your collection is a great day (almost as good as my Snowy Owl adventure). It was a pleasant morning and a breath of fresh air for my coronavirus spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment