Wednesday, July 22, 2020

King of my Own Island

I hafta give it to Quebecers...they do things right.

Ontario has many small provincial parks. As I've blogged about before, some are nice, some are OK and some are dregs. But one thing that Ontario has a bad habit of doing is cramming way too many campsites into to small a space. I think Ontario does this because, although the province is huge, the part where most people live is relatively small so they are trying to allow as many people to visit the parks overnight as possible.  
Maybe I'll buy that excuse.When I compare how camping can be done just across the border in Quebec I hafta say Ontario's approach is pretty weak in comparison.

This past weekend the gang and I rented our own island at the nearby Lac du Poisson Blanc regional park.  Yup, you heard me - island. We had the whole thing to ourselves (and Jen's brother's family). Other bonus features: clean dry toilet (way better than what exists in Ontario parks), the park will bring wood and ice to your island on demand (for a small fee), and it was not expensive.

It was a 1.5 hour paddle to our island. We made it in a record breaking... 2 hours!
The local coast guard
Of course the best part about the park is the warm lake water of Lac du Poisson Blanc that is great for just floating lazily around in for hours. Or maybe it's the incredible solitude? Hmmmm....

Look, camping at Lac du Poisson Blanc isn't for everyone. In July there are still too many bugs for my liking, on the weekends there is too much motorized boat traffic on the lake, sleeping on the ground is OK at best and three days without showering leaves one feeling a bit..icky. But having this at our fingertips (1.5 hours away!) is just mind boggling.

I think monkeying around on shoreline rocks is the definition of childhood
Free evening movie

No comments:

Post a Comment