Thursday, September 17, 2020

The One that Got Away

I've been trying to squeeze in some extended family time before fall/winter really hits and things possibly go into lockdown again. Luckily, my annual fishing trip with my brother and dad always falls on the shoulder seasons bordering summer: early June or late September.

This year we settled on a fall trip and visited Kirk Cove Cottages, on the shores of Big Gull Lake, which is just under 2-hours from my house.

As always with these fishing trips, it's easy to slip into the routine of enjoying nature, trying to catch fish (mostly without success) and just chillin' with my dad and bro. Hard to believe but this is our 12th year in a row doing these trips and we haven't missed a beat. 

The boys!
 So far we've tried:

  • Talon Lake (near north, Ontario) - 2 times
  • Christie Lake (eastern Ontario) - 3 times
  • Brailey Lake (far north fly-in-fishing) once
  • Hungry Lake (eastern Ontario) - 4 times
  • Big Gull Lake (eastern Ontario) - twice

Sadly the annual fishing trip is often the only time I get to go on fishing, although this year was an exception. I tried city fishing with Margot on a couple of occasions early in the year, without much success (we still had lots of fun though and Margot really knows how to cast a line now!)

Speaking of lack of success, I would say this was one of the worst years fishing for me in a long time. Luckily "my boys" helped me out and eventually I caught a few smallmouth bass to get on the "board" (p.s fishing brings out lots of air quotes).

This guy was a tough lil' son of a gun to catch
 Regardless of the amount of fish I caught, being in such a pretty place for 48 hours reminded me how much I enjoy nature again. A perfect late summer/early spring gift to myself.


 


1 comment:

  1. This may not have been the best year of fishing but the view from the cabin was fantastic! You were also the perch master! Always a good getaway.

    ReplyDelete