Monday, January 11, 2021

Baking is Essential

I meandered down Wellington Street on Sunday. Even though non-essential stores are supposed to be closed (except for curb side pickup for online orders) the Wellington Bagel Shop is still open. So I took full advantage and bought...English muffins. No just kidding, I bought bagels.

Then on the walk home I bought some pastries from Luisa Bakery, which is a Portugese bakery that has opened up at the end of my street. I bought two Pastéis de Nata, one Pastéis de Feijão, two Palmiers, and one Cinnamon bun. (haha I just realized that I purchased a "deal" of 6 pastries for $13 and if I had bought them individually it would have been $11.50! I have to sit in on one of Margot's math classes).

"Let them eat Pastries!"
I also picked up a bottle of Laranjada - a kindof carbonated orange flavour soft drink. It's different! The kind of thing I would drink on an overseas trip to Europe while thinking..."how different!". I like it.

These guys opened last summer. Brave! And yummy.


I haven't been closely following what is non-essential vs. essential but it seems to be that as long as a store has a portion of its shop devoted to grocery store-ish products, it can stay open. This appears to explain why one of our local ice cream shops, Stella Luna, has mysteriously stayed open. I noticed a month ago that they replaced all their seating with grocery store shelves. I wondered, at the time, why they did that. Now I know, those far-sighted rascals: lockdown proof ice cream. Just what Ottawa needs in the dead of winter!*

* They may also be able to stay open because they offer take out?

No comments:

Post a Comment