Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Job Opening: World Cup Viewing Buddy

MISSING: Passionate fans of soccer (a.k.a football) in Hintonburg, Ottawa, Canada. While World Cup-crazy fans fill the bars in downtown Ottawa, the Hintonburg pubs tend to be more chill.

WANTED: One or two good viewing buddies to watch the latest game with.

Iceland v Argentina - I swear my "Argentina" shirt was just a coincidence!
REQUIREMENTS:
  • Must detest one team to the point of unreasonableness (preferably a good team, Germany)  
  • Must support another team, equally to the point of unreasonableness (preferably a plucky underdog like Mexico or the hapless "Maple Leafs of World Cup", England). 
PREFERRED:
  •  Easy access to Cable TV or live stream over the Internet (no questions will be asked) in case the pubs aren't open yet and a critical match is on (some games are on at 8 am EST).
  • Modest biases that we can have meaningless sports trivia debates over (e.g. who is better, Ronaldo or Messi?)
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
  •   A pint at the pub per match* 
Croatia v Nigeria
HOW TO APPLY:
  • Please respond to this blog post with your favourite and least favourite teams and one reference who can vouch for your soccer enthusiasm.
* You're buying if my team loses in the quarter finals or later.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to formally apply for this position. Favourite team: England Least favourite team: Italy (can't help it if they didn't make the cut this year!!). For a reference I'd like to submit...YOU.

    The Round of 16 is happening over your visit here. A pub game is absolutely doable. Or, we have cable and a big TV ;) Though it's in the basement...pub viewing is better!

    * Quarter finals won't have happened by your visit. I guess you're buying ;)

    ** Not to worry, I'll pay for the nachos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I meant to say - kudos to you for already hitting a pub TWICE for games. I haven't managed to get out for a game yet - though I've been listening via radio stream at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this still open???? (I'llI offer a trial run in two years for the euro if that works)

    ReplyDelete