Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Remembrance

There are so few things in modern society that everyone can agree on. I would like to think that having a moment's reflection for the people who sacrificed everything they believed would help make a better world would be one of them. Sadly, that's not true. They, and the symbols around Remembrance Day, are just one more thing to analyze and critique and debate.

I love a good debate. And I'm trying to equip Margot with skills that, I hope, will one day allow her to consider the tough questions of the world. But I am also trying to help her realize that the world wars of the 20th century involved real people - my English family members among them - persevering through the scariest situations possible.  And maybe it's not too hard to give them a minute of respect.

One day soon the last living connection to those people will pass on. There won't be any veterans (like my grandfather), children of veterans (like my father) or even grandchildren of veterans anymore. But I will do my best to ensure that at least one more generation in my corner of the world remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment