Monday, January 28, 2019

Foret Larose

The weather has been pretty erratic lately, which has been causing havoc with the winter sports Glosette Girl, Margot and I like to do. It's been too cold, too warm or too snow storm-y. Even the local ice rink was closed the last two times we visited! Argh.

But this past Sunday we caught a break. The temperature was a respectable minus 4 degrees Celsius or so (minus 11 with wind chill) which is pretty much as good as it gets around these parts. So I packed the fam' into the car and headed east to Foret Larose for some ski du fond.


This is actually the second time this season we've cross-country skied. The first time was at Shirley's Bay, in the west, which was nice but a bit crowded with walkers. Technically it was supposed to be a ski-only trail but I can't get too mad as my family has occasionally bent that rules ourselves (and by bent I mean completely ignore).

But with Margot gaining more and more confidence every time we go out I wanted to try a "real" ski trail for this experience.

I wasn't disappointed. The trails were really well groomed and dead flat, which is great for a beginner like my lil' girl.


Better yet, even though there were a few cars in the parking lot we barely ran into anyone meaning Margot didn't feel any pressure to go faster. This is actually a major reason why I avoid Gatineau Park in the winter even though it's the local cross country ski mecca - there are just too many people.

Foret Larose is about a 45 minute drive straight east from Hintonburg in the middle of farm land. It was definitely a pleasant surprise for my gang so I would check it out if you want some easily accessible nature. Word of warning: you will hear the occasional snowmobile zooming about, but once you are the heart of the woods it'll just be you and the trees creaking under the weight of snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment