Thursday, April 4, 2019

Dowd Supply: A Rarity

I was walking Margot to school the other day without a care in the world while singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" when disaster struck and I slipped on some black ice and fell to the ground. Unfortunately for me, I bruised more than my ego; I just so happened to land in exactly the wrong way and the wrist band on my watch broke.

Not a great start to the day.

Luckily for me, there is a jewellery repair shop just around the corner from my house: "Dowd Supply".  I don't know how things are in your corner of the world, but shops that repair...well anything... are quite rare around here. Seriously, try and think of the last thing you got repaired. Shoes? Clothes? In our disposable society it's often easier and cheaper to just get something new.

But Hintonburg still has a few hidden gems like this, which is another of the neighbourhood's charms.  Dowd Supply is tucked away on Rosemount street near the local library.


Now, I'll admit, my watch isn't the best watch in the world (its probably a knock-off of a knock-off) but I was just not in the mood to go shopping for a replacement. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and see what kind of magic Dowd Supply could do.

It's going to take a few days before I get my watch back, which may seem like an eternity for some but I'm a patient man (the fact that I have a smartphone which tells time thus rendering a watch a pointless luxury doesn't hurt).  If all goes well I'll be back to singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" before you know it!*

If all goes poorly I'll sing more like these guys.

1 comment:

  1. They repair anything, but they're a beading and jewellery supply store? Impressive.

    ReplyDelete