Wednesday, September 4, 2019

If you Build It, They will Come

Canada is a big place. And Ontario is a big province. And like many families, my relatives are scattered far and wide across this vast nation. Actually, I'm luckier than most: my family is either here in the Ottawa/Gatineau area or in or near Toronto. But that's still 5 1/2 hours apart. Peanuts by Canadian standards but half way across France!

I once blogged about how dull the drive is between Ottawa and Toronto is. Nine year later, what's the verdict?

It's still dull.

However, on my latest family to Toronto, Margot, Glosette Girl and I stopped in at the BIG APPLE. A classic Highway 401 landmark. Amazingly, despite driving this highway for many years, I've never stopped here before.


So what is there to do at this place exactly? Well, besides having a big apple to jump around at, there is a smorgasbord of apple-related products and paraphernalia to buy. And a petting zoo.

Massive roadside landmarks is such a quintessential North American thing. There are giant geese, big axes, huge potatoes, and enormous coffee pots. They are cheesy and goofy but man I can't help but smile at them.  And by heavens they make driving on some of our flat endless highways little less dull!


No comments:

Post a Comment