Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Home of the Handy Man

Like some of the other stores in this area, like Dowd Supply and the local video store, Morris Home Hardware is a mainstay of my neighbourhood that is a bit of a relic from a bygone era.*


It's a small store, which has lots of Mr. Fix It supplies you need, from screws to light bulbs, but doesn't pretend to have the capacity of some of the big box stores you see in the suburbs. That said, it does have an impressive array of convenient services (the kind that you don't know until you need them):
  • Key making;
  • Knife/lawn mower sharpening; and
  • Skate sharpening (yes, this is Canada)
I have a special place in my heart for Home Hardware. I have vague memories of going to this store with  my dad when I was a kid and thinking that it was the kind of place that had "potential" Maybe it was the fact that it seemed to sell a lot of stuff, like Christmas tree ornaments, that weren't quite toys, but which were kinda interesting. 

Anyways, on my visit to Morris Home Hardware I picked up a hose faucet head. Not sure if that qualifies as "potential" in Margot's eyes!


* According to this website, the store dates back to 1922 and has been at the same physical location for 60 years! Not too many stores in Ottawa can say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment