Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Where Are All The Kids?

Last Sunday, Margot and I had some time to spare and we went for a walk to do some geocaching (if you don't know what that is, I'll save it for another blog post!). We wandered over to EV Tremblay park, which is near little Italy.

The park has a huge wading pool and we stopped to dip our toes.

But as we did so, something occurred to me: there were no other children in the pool. On a  sunny, beautiful Sunday, in the middle of the afternoon, there were no kids in this glorious wading pool except Margot! (Well, at one point, a mother and toddler showed up for a few moments, but most of the time it was just Margot, me and three life guards.*)

One is the loneliest number...
I've read articles about how the future of affluent cities, like Ottawa, is increasingly childless but seeing it firsthand is kindof unsettling. Kind of odd considering the population of the world continues to sky rocket.  Hmmm makes one think.
 
Fortunately, Margot is such a handful by herself that I'm sure her mere presence kept those three lifeguards on their toes - you earned your wages today my friends!

*three life guards for a 18-inch deep wading pool with two customers. There's a sad joke about bureaucracy in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment