Monday, October 14, 2019

A life of experiences

I'm always on the look out for new experiences, whether it's simply visiting a different park in my neighbourhood, when I go visit my family or when I do small day or overnight trips near Ottawa. Best of all, while I love traveling,  some really magical moments can be found close to home without spending thousands of dollars.

That's probably what makes Glosette Girl and I a good match - we both share a love of exploration and curiosity and we're doing our best (and succeeding as far as I can tell!) in passing on that spirit to Margot.

This past Thanksgiving weekend we found a new nearby adventure. Just 1.5 hours away from Ottawa in the Laurentian region of Quebec is Refuge Lac Démélé, a 100 acre oasis where you can rent...wait for a it... a treehouse! Renting treehouses is very "2010's". I never noticed these types of places until the last 10 years or so and now they're starting to pop up everywhere - especially in the Laurentians.

Welcome to the wild side!
Our treehouse, the "Cabane du Lac" was an interesting place to say the least! Built on stilts in the middle of a forest but overlooking a nearby lake, it was, to me at least, the perfect example of glamping. Yes to:
  • Wood oven stove 
  • Solar shower
  • Fire pit
  • Propane-powered hot plate 
  • Cutlery
  • Water for cleaning dishes or boiling
  • One solar powered lightbulb
No to:
  • Potable water 
  • Indoor toilet
  • Electricity (other than the one lightbulb
  • Internet or WIFI
If you're used to camping, like I am, what does it add up to? LUXURY!


It was definitely a new experience for us. While we were only there one night we were able to take full advantage of the on-site paddle boats, playground and acres and acres of picture perfect autumn trees.

Happy Thanksgiving 2019! 


No comments:

Post a Comment