Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Givin' Away some Greens

The Parkdale Food Centre, our local Hintonburg food bank, recently started a cool new initiative: they have installed a fridge outside their property that anyone can use to drop off fresh food. At the same time, anyone who is hungry can open the fridge and take whatever they want, no questions asked.

It's a really cool idea that I think de-stigmatizes food banks a bit while ensuring that food doesn't go to waste. 

In Canada, about 29.4 million kgs of food is wasted every year. That's crazy! Personally, one of my biggest pet peeves is wasting food. The problem is that I like eating a variety of things. So I'm frequently buying fresh herbs and veggies but only using about 2/3 of what I buy. Recycling the food I don't eat is OK I suppose, but giving it away is so much better.

Today I am happy to say that I took advantage of the outdoor fridge. I dropped off two baby bok choys that I didn't use after I whipped up a stir-fry. I know for a fact that if I had kept them they would go straight into the green in. This way, there is at least a fightin' chance that some asian food lover out there will put them to good use.

Make room for the 'choy!

Thank you Parkdale Food Centre for thinking outside the box!

No comments:

Post a Comment