Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Happy Stores List vs. Less Happy List

Whenever I see one of these types of businesses or stores open in the neighbourhood I'm super excited:

  • Pub
  • Cafe 
  • Restaurant
  • Bookstore (not too likely these days, but you never know!)
  • Funky clothing store 
  • Bakery (even though we have a couple nearby, I just love the smell)

Hmmm that list makes me look a bit gentrified...

Anyways, in contrast, I'm more or less disappointed when I see one of the following is joining my neck of the woods:

  • Chain fast food restaurant (don't get me wrong, I like fast food... but mostly when I'm road trippin')
  • Hair dresser (we have too many!)
  • Drug store (we have a couple in the area, plus it's kindof dull)
  • Marijuana store (again, way too many around here)
  • Car dealership or repair shop (another boring shop....but essential of course. So as long as one sticks around, I'm happy!) 
  • Gym (I like the gym, but again, I just don't feel it adds joy to the neighbourhood)

So I was less than thrilled this summer when one of the few new businesses that opened up on our street was an esthetician "lounge". It's not that I don't value estheticians, but for me, personally, I don't find they don't add any life to the streets. 

So while I'm happy that all the empty storefronts around here are starting to fill up, I hope that a couple more businesses on my "happy list" will soon open up and bring some action to the 'hood!

No comments:

Post a Comment