Monday, September 27, 2021

Bill Mason Centre Trail

It takes effort to keep on looking for new hikes around Ottawa. We have no grand mountains or stormy oceans. No vast desserts, midnight sun, or ancient ruins. Not even a notable amusement park! In sum, nothing epic to visit. 

Still, there is a rough and tumble beauty to the area, with the Ontario side being a bit more pastoral and the Quebec side a bit more rugged. And as long as Margot keeps letting me drag her across the country, while we chatter life's worries away, I'm going to keep exploring the area.

I thought I had discovered most hikes within 60 minutes of my house by now (my maximum radius for a day-trip) but it turns out there are still a few hidden gems out there because this past weekend we discovered the Bill Mason Centre Trail, near Dunrobin, west of Ottawa.

The trail is tucked behind a school so it is inaccessible to the public during the week. Maybe that's why I have never heard of it before. But it's completely open on the weekend and so Margot, Glossette Girl and I took full advantage of a glorious September day to stroll it's boardwalks and woods.


I loved how empty it was.


Whenever we hike a beautiful trail a part of me wonders whether it's time to pack city life in and move to the country. I don't need epic mountains to realize how realize how much I love nature. And Margot is an avid horseback rider after all....

Just kidding, until I retire I think I'm going to be a city guy. I like the conveniences of Hintonburg and the proximity to culture and restaurants and life that the neighbourhood brings. But a man can dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment