Monday, September 6, 2021

The Play's the Thing

Well, I didn't see that coming!

I was trying to think of something to do this Labour Day weekend and I stumbled upon a play being held at the Gladstone Theatre, which is just down around the block from our house. The play: Much Ado about Nothing, being produced by Company of Adventurers, a young people's company based in Ottawa.

For someone who used to go to a lot of plays, I must admit I've been slacking lately about seeing any shows this past year for um...well the obvious reason: COVID!  I just assumed this form of entertainment was dormant for the moment (sadly). I guess I was wrong!

Doth mine eyes deceive me?

Being put on by an amateur youth company, the cost of tickets for the production was fair ($0 [plus a voluntary donation to help out the Gladstone Theatre]) and I jumped at the opportunity for Margot, Glosette Girl and I to go see an afternoon matinee.

Hark! now I hear them — Ding-dong, bell

I have to say they did a pretty good job! I wasn't expecting much but the young people (ages 10-19) really impressed me! They knew their lines from top to bottom and they had a pretty decent sense of timing, tone and emotion.

Just going to the theatre was such a fascinating experience.There were 50 people in the audience, all wearing masks, and all spread out and socially distanced. The actors themselves were maskless but put masks on whenever they interacted with the audience (there were a few scenes where they walked up and down the aisles). Is this the future or just an example of the temporary compromises we have to live in in this weird post-vaccine era? I don't know but it was cool to see that COVID hasn't killed theatre after all. Remind me to keep a look out for more shows.

All the world’s a stage...!


No comments:

Post a Comment