Monday, April 25, 2022

The Last Holdout

With the recent closing of the local video store and vegetarian buffet a number of the neighbourhood stalwarts are sadly moving on. From what some of our friends tell us, 10-15 years ago Hintonburg was a very different (and rougher) place from the quirky community that welcomed us in 2016.

I suspect we are in the midst of another major transition. I have seen a couple of signs for upcoming condo developments on Wellington Street, the main drag, and these closures will be followed by more.

In the meantime, a few hold-outs are still giving this area character.

Case in point: West Park Bowling.

This place has to be seen to be believed. It's directly connected to two other businesses: Daniel O'Connell's, a "musician's bar" according to the local barflies, and Fil's Diner, a greasy-spoon diner (obviously!). And when I say connected, I mean connected! Fil's Diner makes the food for the bowling alley and you can walk through the bathroom for the bowling alley directly into the pub! Madness I tell you!

Amazingly, West Park Bowling has operated since 1946. That's continuity! And I think it has a few more years left. Margot's friend, A, had a birthday party here last Saturday and when I dropped her off every lane was rocking.

I do hope they keep going. Much as I like ice cream stores and barbershops, I think this is the kindof place that makes a neighbourhood worth going to and once it's gone, it's not easily recreated.

No comments:

Post a Comment