Tuesday, April 5, 2022

How Majestic of You

Sadly, some of the local tried-and-true businesses went under during the course of the pandemic. One was Wellington Cleaners, which was my go-to place for dry cleaning and general laundering. Well...the store is still there but they seem to now be focusing exclusively on their post office business. I'm not surprised, given the reports on a dramatic decrease in people using dry cleaning after they were forced to stay home.

However, unlike some other white collar workers, I still went into the office throughout the pandemic. And that meant I still needed to find a place to to launder my highfalutin shirts and suits because my ironing skills are sadly lacking.

Luckily, I didn't have to go to far. Just a few further blocks down Wellington lies Laundry Majestic, a local laundromat. 

I can't quite figure out the grammar of the sign...

I don't know if laundromat's have a certain "look" but I'm pretty sure this one hits all the right notes (student studying in the corner, rows and rows of machines, slightly rough-and-tumble appearance, etc.). Another quirk is that its one of the few cash-only businesses that are left around here, and that includes the local farmer's market. And overseeing the entire operation is a little old lady at the back who runs the operation with an iron fist.

But guess what? My shirts are looking crisp again! Hopefully, they'll be able to survive and continue to do  brisk business.

No comments:

Post a Comment