Monday, December 31, 2018

2018: Annus Horribilis?

I've seen a lot of news articles online debating whether 2018 was one of the worst years ever. Here's a sampling from USA Today, the Guardian, and Time Magazine.

Why are many so glum?
  • For those on the traditional "left", there is the ongoing Trump saga, the election of Doug Ford as Premier in Ontario (who some claim is a Trump-lite), Brexit in the UK and the spread of populism everywhere.
  • For those on the "right", there is political correctness gone amok, the attacks on free speech, mass migration, and Brexit again (both sides appear have reasons to be glum about this one!).
And that's not to mention all the urban/rural (gilet jaune anyone?), religious/secular, and east/west tension (which has an international dimension [think China vs. the West] and a Canadian one [Alberta/Saskatchewan vs. Ontario/Quebec]).

Everywhere there seems to be anger. At least by "everywhere" one means everywhere reported on by the news.

One of the reasons I like to write this blog is to remind myself that there are still places where life consists of mundane activities like holding the occasional election, and simple pleasures like going for a haircut, enjoying restaurants, and watching your children growing up. I am sure there is anger and despair here too. But there is also a lot of joy, laughter and hope.

2018 was rough. But the world moves on and from what I see around me there are lots of reasons not to give up on it just yet.

Anyways, here is what I am going to try and do in 2019 to keep some perspective:
  • Read less opinion and more news. While some opinion pieces are quite well written, I find they often preach to the choir. I am going to make a concerted effort to find out what the "other"side is thinking and reflect upon it. Be willing to change my mind.
  • Volunteer for at least one local cause I believe in (food bank, city environmental clean up day, etc.).
  • Eat more ethically-produced food.
  • Kiss my girls' (Ms. Glosette and Ms. Margot) every night and thank my lucky stars.
  • Not take myself too seriously and be silly once in awhile.
...and continue to appreciate nature (this snap taken from "Baird Trail"). Happy New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment