Saturday, January 4, 2020

A New Decade

I can't believe it's a new decade already! So much happened in Glosette Girl, Margot and my life in the 2010s that its mind boggling. When I started this re-booted version of my Tough Cookies blog I summarized what had happened in the five years since I had last written a post. But five years doesn't quite capture the grandeur (in my mind!) of a decade of milestones. So here's another look at what's happened in our little corner of the world over the past 10 years, plus some extras:
  • 2009 - Just before 2010, Glosette Girl and I bought our first house in Hull, Quebec. Around this time, Jen started her current job.
  • May 2010 - Margot was born!
  • Dec 2010 - I wrote my first blog post of my original blog, Tough Cookies.
  • April 2011 - I started my current career.
  • June 2012 - I switched to my current job. Glosette Girl became tenured in her position.
  • 2010-now - we have had three wonderful cats: Luna, Marshmallow and now Panda.
  • September 2014 - Margot started school in Quebec.
  • August 2016 - we moved to our current neighbourhood in Hintonburg, Ottawa (actually, this was a super stressful experience that really started when we put our original home up for sale in January. Glad I don't need to do that again soon!)
  • September 2016 - Margot started her first day of grade one at her current school in Ontario. This was the start of Margot and I walking to school together, which is a real treat for me. Previously, in Quebec, she was driven to school by Glosette Girl. Hard to remember what life was like before I did this.
  • Spring 2018 - Margot tried horseback riding for the first time. If you ask her, this is likely the most momentous event since she was born.
  • June 2019 - I turned 40 and celebrated the milestone with my best buds in Iceland. Wow!
  • Tons of travelling with my family over the past ten years: Atlantic Canada, Vancouver Island, New York City, Iceland (with Glosette Girl this time!), Hawaii, Disney World, Costa Rica, getting to know my roots in El Salvador, Newfoundland, visiting our dear friends in France (twice!) and then Switzerland. Super grateful for being able to travel so much.
That's just for starters. There's also been some sad milestones in that time period, which have greatly affected us too.

Looking back I would say that the 2010s were the decade I became an adult. It just seems that all the stuff that society says makes you an adult (getting a house, family, career) happened over this time period.

Hmmm sounds serious! Fortunately, activities like playing piano, going for walks in nature, goofing around with Margot, and even writing this blog keep me young at heart (I hope!). I wonder what the next ten years will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment